ISLAM: THE FOURTH KINGDOM/BEAST OF DANIEL 2,7 & REV. 13
A. You, O king, were looking and behold, there was a single great statue; that statue, which was large and of extraordinary splendor, was standing in front of you, and its appearance was awesome. The head of that statue was made of fine gold, its breast and its arms of silver, its belly and its thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay. You continued looking until a stone was cut out without hands, and it struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and crushed them. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were crushed all at the same time and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away so that not a trace of them was found. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth. (Daniel 2:31-35)
B. The traditional, predominant position throughout history has been that this dream portrays the following four empires:
1. Babylonian Empire
2. Medo-Persian Empire
3. Grecian Empire
4. Roman Empire
C. The context and subject matter of the dream:
1. You, O king, are a king of kings. For the God of heaven has given you a kingdom, power, strength, and glory… But after you shall arise another kingdom…then another, a third kingdom… And the fourth kingdom shall be as strong as iron… and like iron that crushes, that kingdom will break in pieces and crush all the others. (Daniel 2:37-40)
2. The dream was given specifically to Nebuchadnezzar, who was the king of ancient Babylon. The dream was concerning three kingdoms which would come after, replace or subsume his kingdom.
3. The Roman Empire fulfills this requisite only partially and with great difficulty.
4. The Islamic Empire/Caliphate fulfills this requisite absolutely and does so to this very day.
D. Fourth Kingdom: The nature of its rise
1. And the fourth kingdom shall be as strong as iron, inasmuch as iron breaks in pieces and shatters everything; and like iron that crushes, that kingdom will break in pieces and crush all the others. (Daniel 2:40)
2. The fourth kingdom would crush Babylon, Medo-Persia, and Greece.
3. Again, the Roman Empire only partially fulfills this requisite.
4. The Roman Empire only conquered roughly 1/3 of the total land holdings of these previous three empires.
5. The Islamic Empire fulfills this requisite absolutely and does so to this day.
E. Fourth Kingdom: The nature of its demise
1. While you were watching, a rock was cut out, but not by human hands. It struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and smashed them. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were broken to pieces at the same time and became like chaff on a threshing floor in the summer. The wind swept them away without leaving a trace. (Daniel 2:34,35)
2. If the fourth kingdom were fully revived, reformed and re-established, at the time of its judgment and destruction when Christ returns to establish his kingdom, Babylon, Medo-Persia and Greece would all be destroyed as well (by virtue of the judgment of the fourth kingdom).
3. Once again, the historical Roman Empire does not fulfill this, while the Islamic Empire absolutely does.
F. The Mixed Kingdom
1. And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay. (Daniel 2:43)
2. Aramaic Word-Play:
A) And just as you saw the iron mixed (Aramaic: arab) with baked clay, so the people will be Arab and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes (Aramaic: arab) with clay.
3. Alternative translation:
A) And just as you saw the iron mixed (arab) with baked clay, so the people will be Arab and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes (arab) with clay. (Daniel 2:43)
4. Similar to: Peres = Paras = Persians
A) Daniel: “Peres (divided): Your kingdom will be given to the Medes and the Persians (paras) (Daniel 5: 25-28)
G. The Divided Kingdom
1. In that you saw the feet and toes, partly of potter’s clay and partly of iron it will be a divided kingdom. (Daniel 2:41)
2. The Sunni Shi’a Division is something that defined the Muslims from the beginning.
3. Internal division of the Antichrist’s armies:
A) “I will call for a sword against him on all My mountains,” declares the Lord GOD. “Every man’s sword will be against his brother.” (Ezekiel 38:21)
B) On that day men will be stricken by the LORD with great panic. Each man will seize the hand of another, and they will attack each other. (Zechariah 14:13)
4. The Ancient Biblical Origins of the Conflict
A) The angel of the LORD also said to her: “You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael (The Lord hears), for the LORD has heard of your misery. He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone’s hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers.” (Genesis 16:11-12)
B) The last days clash between the people of God and the people of Satan is merely an extension of the ancient biblical conflict between Isaac / Ishmael (as well as the conflict between Jacob/Israel and Esau/Edom)
H. To Crush
1. The Roman failure to “crush”
A) The intent of the text is more than mere military strength
(1) To conquer geographically: Borders
(2) To conquer culturally
(3) To conquer religiously
(4) To crush and replace languages
B) The Roman Empire added:
(1) Infrastructure, law, order, roads, aqueducts, etc.
(2) Allowed its conquered subjects to maintain their language, religion and culture.
(3) Demanded taxes and the acknowledgment of Caesar.
(4) Much of Roman Empire was overwhelmed by Greek Culture.
I. Islam: The Fourth Kingdom of Daniel and the Beast of Revelation 13
1. And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and his feet were like those of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. And the dragon gave him his power and his throne and great authority. I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast; they worshiped the dragon because he gave his authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?” (Revelation 13:2-4)
J. Islam: The crushing empire
1. “After that, in my vision at night I looked, and there before me was a fourth beast—terrifying and frightening and very powerful. It had large iron teeth; it crushed and devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left. (Daniel 7:7)
2. The Early Muslim Conquests:
A) Muhammad died in 632
B) Within 2 years after Muhammad’s death, the Muslims first entered Palestine, sacking the area from Gaza to Cesarea, slaughtering 4000 Jewish, Christian and Samaritan peasants.
C) By 636, 333,000 Christians had been slaughtered by the Muslim hordes.
D) By 642, 1,000,000 Christians had been slaughtered.
E) In 643 Tripoli (Libya) and Carthage (Tunisia) were entirely razed and all of the inhabitants slaughtered.
F) The same year, all of the inhabitants of Pergamum and Sardes were led away into captivity.
G) In Cyprus (649), the Islands of Cos and Rhodes (672), Crete (674) the entire populations were either slaughtered or enslaved.
H) The Muslim hordes would besiege a city, kill all resistors, distribute the booty, and march on average 30 to 50 thousand woman back to Mecca.
I) In less than one generation, the ancient heart of Christendom was completely crushed or subjugated by Islam.
J) In 985 Barcelona was destroyed by fire, and all of its inhabitants were slaughtered or taken prisoner.
K) The conquests have never stopped, though they have experienced very long lulls.
L) As the beast is healed and restored, so also will the slaughtering and loss of Christian life.
3. Modern examples of the ongoing crushing
A) In Kosovo, the heart of ancient Serbia, an Eastern Orthodox Christian nation, was given to Albania.
B) From 2003 to 2013, the Christian population in Iraq has dropped from 1.5 million to about 200,000.
C) 30 years ago, in the region around Bethlehem, Christians made up about 80% of the population. Today, they represent just 20%.
D) Since Hamas took over Gaza in 2007, the number of Christians there have shrunk from around 3,500 to about 1,200
E) Turkey, once the heart of ancient Christianity, housing the 7 Churches of Revelation and Antioch, today there are 72 million Turks and only approx. 5000 evangelical Christians there.
F) In the one year that the Muslim Brotherhood was in power in Egypt, over 50 Churches were either destroyed or partially destroyed.
G) Since 2012, in Syria, over 100 Churches have been destroyed, and roughly half a million Christians have fled the nation.
K. The Great Commission
1. And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)
2. Unreached Peoples:
A) Of the approx. 16,500 people groups by country, approx. 7,000 are still considered unreached.
B) There are 1.6 Billion Muslims.
C) 84.9% of Muslims are considered unreached.
D) 1,3000,000 Muslims are “unreached”
E) Approx. 1,800 protestants are working among missionaries to Muslims
F) That’s 1 missionary to every 550,000 Muslims
G) That’s equivalent to having 5 evangelical churches and 150 pastors for all of North America.
H) Imagine on Sunday morning if you had the option of being able to go to Church in (1) Dallas, (2) Seattle, (3) Montreal, or (4) Kansas City, or (5) Mexico City.
3. The Great Commission Prophecy:
A) “This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 24:14)
4. The Other Great Commission:
A) When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, would be completed also. (Revelation 6:9-11)