THE COMING STORM
- Jesus says that in the last days, it will be as it was in the days of Noah and in the days of Lot.
26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all. 28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all. (NIVLk. 17:26-29)
- A storm is on the horizon. To deny this is to become like the false prophets of old.
6 This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord. 17 They keep saying to those who despise me, ‘The Lord says: You will have peace.’ And to all who follow the stubbornness of their hearts they say, ‘No harm will come to you.’ 18 But which of them has stood in the council of the Lord to see or to hear his word? Who has listened and heard his word? 19 See, the storm of the Lord will burst out in wrath, a whirlwind swirling down on the heads of the wicked. 20 The anger of the Lord will not turn back until he fully accomplishes the purposes of his heart. In days to come you will understand it clearly. 21 I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied. 22 But if they had stood in my council, they would have proclaimed my words to my people and would have turned them from their evil ways and from their evil deeds. (NIVJer. 23:16-22)
- When the trials of the last days arrive, it will quickly become apparent what kind of foundation our lives had been built on. We will realize whether we had been living our lives as wise virgins or as foolish virgins.
10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. (NIV1Cor. 3:10-15)
- Important question: What counts as a “quality” foundation in God’s sight? What does He see as “building blocks” of silver and gold? The answer: that which accords with the knowledge of God as revealed on the cross. If our lives are built on anything incongruent with the knowledge of God as revealed in Christ crucified, it is chaff that will be burned up in the fire. The real issue is what God is like and what God is not like. Anything in our lives that is agreement with who God is and what He is like will stand. Anything out of sync with God and His character will not stand.
15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” (NIV1 Pet. 1:15-16)
…10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. (NIVCol. 3:10)
“…you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, 22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. (ESVEph. 4:21-24)
16 I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him (ESVEph. 1:16-17)
- The cross, and the revelation of God contained therein, is the only compass that will see us through the days ahead. Messiah crucified is the only solid foundation.
14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (NIVGal. 6:14)
2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. (NIV1 Cor. 2:2)