THE KINGDOM OF THE MESSIAH
- Sample Texts
I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near: a star shall come out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel; it shall crush the forehead of Moab and break down all the sons of Sheth. 18 Edom shall be dispossessed; Seir also, his enemies, shall be dispossessed. Israel is doing valiantly. 19 And one from Jacob shall exercise dominion and destroy the survivors of cities!” (ESVNum. 24:17-19)
44 “In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever. 45 This is the meaning of the vision of the rock cut out of a mountain, but not by human hands—a rock that broke the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold to pieces. (NIVDan. 2:44-45)
3 Gird your sword upon your side, O mighty one; clothe yourself with splendor and majesty. 4 In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds. 5 Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king’s enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet. 6 Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. (NIVPs. 45:3-6)
1 The Lord says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.” 2 The Lord will extend your mighty scepter from Zion; you will rule in the midst of your enemies. 3Your troops will be willing on your day of battle. Arrayed in holy majesty, from the womb of the dawn you will receive the dew of your youth. (NIVPs. 110:1-3)
6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. (NIVIs. 9:6-7)
- The Kingdom of the Messiah
- the government of God that will cover the entire earth, Israel and all nations
- not yet here, but will be established and set up in the future in context to the Day of the Lord, the Second Coming, the resurrection of the saints, the reward of the righteous, and the punishment of the wicked
- will be established not by human power, but by the Messiah, through the power of God and the judgments of God (as in the Exodus)
- will be headquartered in Jerusalem in Israel=restored kingdom of Israel/Davidic dynasty
- will be governed and ruled by the Messiah
- will made up of citizens whose inclusion will be based on repentance and faith in the gospel
- will be administrated governmentally in partnership with the saints from Israel and the Gentile nations.
In short, the kingdom of the Messiah or Messianic Kingdom is the restored kingdom of Israel and the restored kingdom of Eden, under the leadership of the Messiah. It is God’s ordained instrument for purging evil from the earth.